Amtrak Routes that Stop in Goleta or Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara is served by two Amtrak routes. The Pacific Surfliner® winds along the Southern California coast between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, while the interstate Coast Starlight® travels the distance from Seattle to Los Angeles.
Local Amtrak Stations
The Amtrak train station closest to UCSB is the Goleta station (GTA), located at 25 S. La Patera Lane. The Santa Barbara station (SBA) is at 209 State Street. Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner® stops at the Goleta and Santa Barbara stations, while the Coast Starlight® stops only at the Santa Barbara station.
Transportation between UCSB and the Northern California Amtrak Capitol Corridor Train or San Joaquin Train
In addition to trains Amtrak also operates a Bus that travels between the UCSB Bus Loop near the Pollock Theater and the Capitol Corridor Train and Caltrain (in San Jose) or San Joaquin Train (in Bakersfield). Click here for more information.
Fare Discounts from Santa Barbara Car Free
Santa Barbara Car Free promotes alternative ways to get in, out and around Santa Barbara. The organization collaborates with Amtrak to provide discounts on rail travel. Currently on offer are a 20% discount on Pacific Surfliner® fares and a 15% discount on Coast Starlight® fares. Promotion details and instructions for signing on may be viewed here. Please note that three-day advance ticket purchase is required to qualify for a discount and there are blackout dates.
By showing your Amtrak ticket at participating Santa Barbara attractions and amenities, you qualify for discounts and special offers. Learn more at Santa Barbara Car Free. Check out a 3-minute video for fresh ideas on how you and your visitors can enjoy Santa Barbara!
Special Pacific Surfliner Discounts for commuter travel between Ventura County, Carpinteria and the Goleta Train Station.
Northbound (AM) Train# 759
- Simi Valley 5:19a
- Moorpark 5:31a
- Camarillo 5:46a
- Oxnard 5:58a
- Ventura 6:12a
- Carpinteria 6:34a
- Santa Barbara 6:47a
- Goleta 7-7:16a
Southbound (PM) Train# 792
- Goleta 4:25p
- Santa Barbara 4:40p
- Carpinteria 4:55p
- Ventura 5:26p
- Oxnard 5:40p
- Camarillo 5:56p
- Moorpark 6:25p
- Simi Valley 6:41p
Southbound (PM) Train# 796
- Goleta 6:48p
- Santa Barbara 6:59p
- Carpinteria 7:18p
- Ventura 7:40p
- Oxnard 7:54p
- Camarillo N/A
- Moorpark N/A
- Simi Valley 8:39p
Complimentary Travel available the month of April 2018 through Traffic Solutions
Special Fare: Ventura County to Santa Barbara County
- Unlimited Monthly Pass: $150
- Ten-Ride Pass: $50
- Single-Ride Pass: Variable cost, not discounted
Special Fare: Carpinteria to Santa Barbara and Goleta
- Unlimited Monthly Pass: $80
- Ten-Ride Pass: $30
- Single-Ride Pass: Variable cost, not discounted
For frequent travelers, Amtrak sells multi-ride tickets:
- A ten-ride ticket is valid for ten rides within a 45-day period.
- A monthly ticket is valid for unlimited travel for an entire calendar month.
For multi-ride prices and purchases, visit Amtrak’s Multi-Ride webpage at tickets.amtrak.com. Multi-ride tickets may also be purchased at staffed Amtrak station ticket offices. (Please be advised, the Goleta train station does not have a ticket office.)
Bike on Board
Consider traveling by Amtrak and having the convenience of a bike on campus. The Pacific Surfliner® allows passengers to bring along bicycles and hang them on a hook in the car entrance with advanced registration (please see box below).
At no extra cost, you are guaranteed a space for your bicycle for an entire Surfliner® trip. Reserve the space when you book your trip at an Amtrak station or online. Just click “Add Bike to Trip” after you select a departure station and class of service. Please note, boxed bikes are NOT accepted on the Surfliner®. Amtrak advises, reserve your bike space early!
See Bicycles On Board to review all your bicycle transport options. Imagine getting off the train at the Goleta Amtrak Station and bicycling to campus. The bicycle trip between the Goleta Train Station and UCSB takes less than 20 minutes.
MTD Bus Service between Amtrak Stations and UCSB
- To travel to the Goleta Amtrak station, board MTD Line 24x west-bound (toward Camino Real Marketplace) at the UCSB Bus Loop. Line 24x becomes Line 12x. Get off the bus at the intersection of Hollister Avenue and La Patera Lane. Walk up La Patera Lane 0.3 miles (6 minutes) toward the mountains.
To view the trip from UCSB to Goleta Amtrak on a map, click here.
- To travel to UCSB, board MTD Line 12x west-bound (toward Camino Real Marketplace) at the intersection of La Patera Lane and Hollister Avenue. Line 12x becomes Line 24x and continues to the UCSB Bus Loop.
Santa Barbara Station
- To travel to the Santa Barbara Amtrak station, board MTD Line 24x (toward Santa Barbara) at the UCSB Bus Loop. Get off at the MTD Transit Center. Walk south to Carrillo (half a block), turn left and then walk one block to State Street. Board the Downtown/Waterfront Shuttle that runs down State Street toward the beach. Get off at Yanonali adjacent to the Santa Barbara Amtrak Station.
To view the trip from UCSB to Santa Barbara Amtrak on a map, click here.
- To travel to UCSB, board the Downtown/Waterfront Shuttle at the shuttle stop. Get off at Carillo, turn left and walk one block to Chapala Street. Walk north to the MTD Transit Center (half a block). Board MTD Line 24x toward Camino Real Marketplace. Get off at the UCSB Bus Loop.
MTD Maps & Schedules
Registered UCSB students may qualify for NO-cost travel on the MTD. See our MTD webpage for details.
We're Making Some Exciting Improvements!
Adventure through SoCal this summer on the Pacific Surfliner. Sunny beaches, big cities, historic towns, foodie hotspots - we can take you to all of them. And now, your trip will be better than ever!