Who is eligible
Graduate students employed on campus 45% or more of their time qualify for a Graduate Student staff GS permit. The applicant must show the required amount of time on the University Personnel Payroll System (PPS), or be listed on the Graduate Division Fellowship List. Graduate students employed less than 45% of their time may qualify for a student C permit.
Where to park
UPDATE 6/30/2017: A GS permit allows you to park in lots and spaces designated for Staff "B". Parking is allowed in time-restricted parking spaces for the time designated.
The permit is NOT valid in spaces marked “Faculty At All Times”, Restricted Spaces, Service Spaces or where other restrictions apply — for example, "R" Reserved spaces or metered spaces, or lots/spaces marked for vendors or “H” permit holders.
The permit is NOT valid in Coastal Access spaces nor the "GOLD" spaces on weekdays, Monday–Friday 7:30AM–5:00PM.
The permit is NOT valid in Lot 2 or in the Residential & Community Living parking facilities operated by Housing & Residential Services.
How to apply
- Receive an email confirmation of your order. Contact Parking Services if you do not receive a confirmation. Failure to receive a confirmation most likely indicates that we do not have your correct email address.
- Receive an email (typically within two business days) advising you whether or not your order was approved, and how to go back online to complete the order.
- Receive instructions for printing a temporary permit. A long-term permit will be mailed to the address listed on your application.
When to renew
Renewal is not automatic. To maintain parking privileges, log into your online account and apply for a new permit before the expiration date.
Price and payment options
- $450 for an annual permit, July through June.
- $120 for a quarterly permit. The beginning and end dates of quarters correspond to the UCSB Registrar’s Academic Calendar.
Your effective cost for an annual permit is $37.50 per month. A permit purchased after the start of a permit period (year or quarter) is prorated and the appropriate fee charged for the remainder of the period. If you purchase an annual permit in November, for example, the cost to you is $300. In January, you pay $225, and in March $150.
TPS accepts payment by cash, debit/credit card, or a check made payable to UC Regents.
Permit returns and refunds
Annual permits that are not being used must be returned to Parking Services to qualify for a refund. See here for more information about our permit return policy.