Penalties for parking violations
To determine the penalty fee for a specific type of violation, refer to the Parking Violation Fees table. Fees for safety and handicap parking violations are consistent with those imposed by the City of Santa Barbara.
The following policies are effective July 1, 2012.
- Penalty fees for permit violations start at $48.
- A late payment penalty of $48 is added if payment has not been receive within 36 days from the the date of issuance.
- After two citations for a class 1 ($48 penalty) violation, the fine amount accumulates by $10 for each additional class 1 violation. Thus, the fine for a third such violation is $58, a fourth is $68, and a fifth is $78. The fine for a sixth or subsequent class 1 violation is $88.
- Citations that are more than 365 days old are not factored into the fine accumulation count.
- A California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) registration hold fee of $10 is added to each citation that must be sent to DMV for collection.
Paying a citation
The due date for paying a citation is 21 days following the date of issue. There are three ways to pay: online, in person, or by mail.
- Online payments can be made on this website. Click to begin the process. Payment by Visa, MasterCard, or American Express is accepted.
- In-person payments can be made at the Parking Services office. The office is located in Building 381, across the street from Harder Stadium and at the north end of 30 Parking. Payment by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express) or check is accepted.
- Mailed checks or money orders must be made payable to “UC Regents” and sent to the following address:
UCSB Transportation & Parking Services
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-7005
To ensure proper posting, write your citation number(s) on the face of a check or money order or enclose the citation with the check. Please do not send cash.
Payments received after their due date may incur additional late fees.
Appealing a citation
Citations may be appealed within 21 days of the date of issue. Appeals made after 21 days will not be accepted. Click to start the appeal process. If you do not have Internet access, call our Adjudication Office at 805.893.3680 to obtain a printed appeal form. Appeals are not conducted over the phone or by a personal visit to the office.
Once a citation is paid, the citation is considered resolved. Citations cannot be placed on appeal after payment has been made.
To continue with the appeal process, read How to Appeal a Citation.
Unpaid citations accrue a $48 late penalty, and the citation is sent to the California Department of Motor Vehicles and placed as a lien against the vehicle registration renewal. Citations issued to out-of-state vehicles or rental vehicles may be referred to outside agencies for collection. Vehicles with multiple outstanding citations may be immobilized or impounded at the vehicle owner's expense. The vehicle will not be released until all outstanding citations are paid in full in addition to a $60 immobilization administrative fee.